Saturday, September 20, 2008

Searchers and Planners; and my first Book


I once read a book by William Easterly Called The White man's Burden. The book dealt with African Poverty and the fact that our well intentioned efforts to relieve it have in fact only enabled and entrenched it. The following passage left a strong impression on me.

Planners announce good intentions but don't motivate anyone to carry them out; searchers find things that work and get some reward. Planners raise expectations but take no responsibility for their actions; searchers must accept responsibiliry for their actions. Planners determine what to supply; searchers find out what is demand. Planners apply global blueprints; searchers adapt to local conditions. planners at the top lack knowledge at the bottom; searchers find out what the reality is at the bottom. planners never hear whether the planned got what it needed; searchers find out if the cutomer is satisfied.....


I like many other freedom lovers have always felt trapped in a world of planners. I spent 5 years working in the remote oilfield sites all over the frozen north. I spent my nights writing fantastic paranoid stories about being trapped in a civilization of planners and a world dominated by planner worship. I have just published five of these stories in my first book called Isonomia. I hope you will check it and maybe buy it. When people ask me to describe the book I have been using the sentence-- Kafka for Libertarians.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 1:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right on dude!

 
At 7:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darcy is pimping the book. A great find for me (another pessimistic libertarian) I'll be buying this one.

I hear ya bro...central "planning" and collectivist social engineering elitism, the twin plagues of the post modern age and the absolute nemesis of individual freedom and self actualization.

Good luck with the book.

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger angryroughneck said...

Darcy pimping helps a lot. Like a lot of people on the blogosphere I have been writing for a long time so its an interesting period for me. Anyways I hope you guys like the book. It was nice hearing from both of you. I have been away from blogging for awhile. Too infrequent on my part.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home